Tomorrow – The Peace Response to the war in Iraq
- I just heard Bush give his “declaration of war” on national tv tonight.
- The University of Oklahoma in Norman – OU Students Against War will be demonstrating on the north oval near Boyd Street from 11:30 a.m. until 2 p.m. Weather forcasts say there may be rain, but planners say the event will happen anyway. They do remind participants that the “demonstration will be peaceful and respectful. Please keep this in mind as you make signs and present yourself at the demonstration.”
- Downtown Oklahoma City – a Candlelight Vigil will be held starting at 6 p.m. at the Episcopal Center at NW 9th and Robinson.
- Tulsa – Streetside Protest – Corner of 41st and Yale, 5:30 PM – 7:00 PM
- Tulsa – Candlelight Vigil – Fellowship Congregational Church, 2900 S. Harvard – 7:30 PM
- The University of Texas at Austin – Protest/Student Walkout will take place at 12 noon on the South Mall (south of the UT Tower), followed by a 24 hour vigil. Organizers invited you to bring yourself, signs, candles, friends, and family.
- Downtown Austin – Protest in front of the State Capitol beginning at 4:30 pm, followed by a march to the Congress Avenue Bridge (around 5:15p). (Civil disobedience actions will be happening later in the week. More info at AustinAgainstWar.org
- Bryan, TX – Daily noon protests are planned at 4112 E 29th St. in Bryan Texas. Folks are encouraged to bring signs and bullhorns.
- Corpus Christi, TX – Protest at 12 noon in front of the Federal Courthouse, Shoreline & I-37 Corpus Christi Texas 78401
- Dallas, TX – Several events taking place, click here for details.
- Denton, TX – A peace picnic is planned for 1pm – 3pm at the corner of Hickory and Fry Street in Denton, Texas. “We will raise our voices and music in opposition to the arrogance of the Bush administration to commit murder in the name of multinational oil and gas companies.”
- Houston, TX – Houston activists call for a gathering at 5 p.m. at Hermann Park “Hippie Hill” (where the outdoor theater is located in Hermann Park), on Hermann Dr. near Caroline St. More news at http://www.houstonjusticenotwar.org/calendar.html
- Nacodoches, TX – A “Peaceful response of dismay in response to attack on Iraq” is planned for 5 p.m. at North Street near Vista Drive Nacogdoches Texas. More info at http://SFAsfp@firstname.lastname@example.org/
It’s time now for the response of peace-lovers around the world and especially in our local communities. Here are the events I am aware of that are happening in Oklahoma and Texas. Other events in other locales can be found at UnitedForPeace.org. Lord willing I will be at the OU and OKC demonstrations and will post pictures and accounts at www.okimc.org. BTW, MSNBC has a good story on tomorrow’s nation-wide protests.